August 19, 2020
The Moorhead School Board is made up of seven residents of Independent School District 152 who are elected at large to four-year terms. School Board elections are held in even number years in conjunction with state general elections. The filing deadline for School Board candidates was Tuesday, August 11 at 5 p.m.
Four Moorhead School Board members’ terms will expire at the end of 2020, and they are all running for re-election along with four new candidates. The complete list of candidates for this election year include:
- Incumbent, Cassidy Bjorklund, Moorhead, currently serving as chairperson of the School Board. She was first elected to the board in 2016.
- Incumbent, Scott Steffes, Moorhead. He was first elected to the board in 2012.
- Incumbent, Melissa Burgard, Moorhead, currently serving as vice-chair of the School Board. She was first elected to the board in 2016.
- Incumbent, Matt Valan, Moorhead. He was first elected to the board in 2012.
- Ezzat Haider, Moorhead
- Thaddeus Laugisch, Moorhead
- Shawn Stumphf, Moorhead
- David Marquardt, Moorhead
In order to be eligible to be elected to the School Board a person must be:
- at least 21 years old at the time the term of office begins,
- a resident of the district for at least 30 days prior to the election,
- an eligible voter, which includes the requirement that one is a citizen of the United States, and
- not registered as a convicted sex offender.
The School Board election will be held Nov. 3 in conjunction with the general election, and the term for elected 2020 members will begin on Jan. 4, 2021.
Additional Moorhead School Board information can be found here.