January 7, 2020
The New Year brings excitement and anticipation for the year ahead. At the beginning of 2020, I find myself more grateful than ever to work with and for this extraordinary team and amazing community. We have a talented team of teachers, support staff and students that are second to none and I am excited to see what we can accomplish with the support of our community this year.
Here are a few of the things in store for us as a Spud team:
- Strategic Planning. We will begin a six-month strategic planning process in January with the help of the Minnesota School Boards Association. We need to hear your voice and will be reaching out to the community to help set district direction and goals. A community-wide survey will be available from January 6 to February 7 and focus groups will be conducted at the beginning of February. Community members can access the survey and application for focus group at www.moorheadschools.org/strategicplanning.
- Facilities Projects.
- Planning is underway for the career academy and high school facilities that seventy-six percent of our community voted to approve in November. We are seeking teacher input to drive the final project design. The career academy will open in the fall of 2021 while the high school project will be completed by the fall of 2024.
- Our district office team, food services and facility services will move to the operations center on 30th Avenue this spring. Our buses started using the building last month. This building will create operational efficiencies and will play a large role in freeing up educational space at Probstfield Center for Education (PCE).
- Probstfield Plan. As our district continues to grow, we are redefining the mission of PCE to address future elementary capacity. We are currently studying how to best utilize this space for maximum educational impact.
- The Future. Planning is already underway for the 2020-2021 school year including staffing, scheduling and appropriate resource allocation to continue to serve our students even better in the year to come.
We are excited to continue the valuable work of ensuring that students entrusted to our care are thriving and reaching their maximum potential. We are truly honored to have the opportunity to impact kids in 2020 and beyond.
– Brandon Lunak, Superintendent
Moorhead Area Public Schools